- This event has passed.
Cox Creek Dredge Material Containment Facility Open House
October 21 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pmFree
Scenic Rivers staff will be on site to talk about the adjacent Swan Creek Wetlands Conservation Area. Be sure to stop by our booth!
The Maryland Port Administration is offering the public the opportunity to explore Cox Creek, only accessible once a year during their Open House! Cox Creek is an active dredged material placement site that is undergoing expansion. The site also includes 115 acres of wetlands and forest held in conservation by Scenic Rivers and Maryland Environmental Trust.
Attendees will have the opportunity to view portions of the Swan Creek Wetlands Conservation Area from a designated trail and viewing platform. The easement is not yet fully accessible due to ongoing maintenance and trail planning. However, attendees will be able to learn about plans for the trail system at the event.
The Open House offers opportunities to:
- Learn about what’s happening at Cox Creek and other Port site activities
- See the expansion of the facility via Riding Tours of the dredged placement site
- Access this top birding site in the state, particularly in migration season
- Meet Port staff and project partners (including Scenic Rivers!)
- Explore dredged material innovations
- Learn about the new Swan Creek Nature Trail that is in development
- Share your thoughts on the project with Maryland Port Administration officials
Date: Saturday, October 21, 2023
Time: 10 am to 2 pm
Location: Cox Creek Dredged Material Containment Facility, 1000 Kembo Road, Curtis Bay, Maryland 21226